For better or for worse, multi-tasking is a part of our daily routines – calling while driving, surfing while watching TV, or texting while shopping. But sometimes, saving time can waste resources. If you floss, clean, or select your outfit while waiting for your shower water to heat up, the folks at Evolve have just the solution for you – The Lady Bug.
I tested The Lady Bug for weeks, with mixed results.
All Steamed Up (+)
* The Lady Bug is an attachment you put between your showerhead and water pipe. Using what evolve calls ShowerStart Technology, The Lady Bug detects when your water gets to 95 degrees Fahrenheit (the average comfortable water temperature) and slows the water to a trickle.
* Once you’re ready to enjoy the shower, just pull the release trigger, and the water comes flowing out of your showerhead at the perfect temperature.
* The Lady Bug will save you an estimated 2,700 gallons of water a year.
* With an estimated $75 in savings, the $29.95 investment will be earned back in just four months.
* Evolve donated 260 of their low-flow showerheads to Greensburg, Kansas, a city that was destroyed in 2007 by a tornado and is now being rebuild as a fully green town. It is the title city on the Discovery Channel Planet Green show Greensburg.
* The lady bug attaches to any shower arm with industry standard ½” fittings.
* It’s extremely easy to attach and use; it took me about five minutes to get it all set up.
Down the Drain (-)
* The instruction manual actually made the process more confusing and is unnecessary.
* Arguably, this isn’t the most effective way to save water, as you’re still running water to make sure it’s warm. This only helps if you’re someone who turns on the shower and then tries to do things while the shower is on.
The Final Rinse
The Lady Bug is a great option for people whose main concern is energy savings, but not the best option for water conservation. Better water conservation choices: the previously reviewed Shower Manager, or taking a “military-style” shower, which means turning the water off when you’re lathering up.
It’s available to purchase from Choose Renewables – and one of its favorite products!